How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17613
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

How do I find my Tax Reference No.?

This answer was rated:

How do I find my Tax Reference No.?
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
The tax reference number will usually be displayed on a Tax Numberpayslip each time a person is paid. Any documents from your employer or pension provider will have the tax reference number displayed.
The tax reference number should not be confused with a Unique Taxpayer Reference number.
The Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) is only issued by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) when you, or your tax professional, have registered for Self Assessment. It is made up of 10 numbers, for example(###) ###-#### ***** can be found on documentation issued by HMRC such as the Tax Return (SA100), a 'Notice to complete a Tax Return' (SA316) or a Statement of Account.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The reason I am asking for a Tax Reference no. is that my husband C.R. Cowan passed away on 23rd February 2014 and I have received a Self Assessment Statement Tax Reference 62564 58761 and my Accountant is now asking for my Number which to the best of my knowledge I do not have as I have not been employed.

Hello Betty,
Please accept my condolences.
Let your accountant know that you have not been assigned a tax reference number.
When you register for the first time you’ll get a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number. Your accountant should be able to take care of that for you.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you