How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14200
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Was employed by small business for 25 years . Was paid cash

This answer was rated:

Was employed by small business for 25 years . Was paid cash in hand . Asked about my tax after about 5 years . Was 18 when started was Nieve . When told he was not paying any felt trapped and afraid to do anything . Business folded in August . I'm now left with no p45 or p60 . And afraid to contact hmrc direct can you advise me
Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on just Answer.
Are you in a position of about to start employment or claiming benefits? Are you being asked after the last 25 years?
Although there is some issue with the fact you knew no tax or National Insurance was being deducted and ideally you would have contacted HMRC before now, this still falls into being a failure on behalf of the employer rather than you.
On the upside, if the employer was still trading it is likely that HMRC would look to them to make good the amount owed, but as they are not, they have no recourse to recoup the monies owed.
On the downside you have clearly not had any National Insurance paid towards a state pension nor have an entitlement to any state benefits as you have no National Insurance record.
But please advise what your near future plans are with respect to employment etc.
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you