How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5148
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I need some assistance in re-establishing my income tax position

This answer was rated:

I need some assistance in re-establishing my income tax position in the UK following a number of years working in Hong Kong.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

What would you like to know... were you living and working in the UK before working abroad in Hong Kong?

Did you file tax returns in the UK?
When did you leave the country to work abroad?

Many thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I left the UK in 1994 when I was transferred by Philips to Bangkok. I worked for Philips in both Thailand and Singapore as an Expat through to December 1999. I joined a US company in Singapore in Jan 2000 where they paid my tax to the Singapore Government for the first year. I was transferred to Hong Kong in 2001 when I took direct responsibility for my income tax through to October 2012 when I elected to take early retirement at the age of 60. All taxes were paid to HK IRS for early retirement money and pension. I have since been travelling in Asia but living in the UK with no income other than the separation pay received in October 2012. I now need to seek employment in the UK which will mean registering for income tax.

Paul, thank you for your reply and for additional information.

As you left the UK in 1994 you most probably missed filing tax returns under self assessment. The first year for self assessment was 1996/97 which commenced on 6 Apr 1996. You may therefore not have a unique tax reference number (10 digit number like 12345 67890). If you don't have one, then you should first register for self assessment. You will be issued with a UTR number and sent a tax return for completion and return

You can do that online and the link to it is here

Rules on residency changed and the new rules came into being with effect from 6 Apr 2013. Guidance on the new rules can be found here

You may also find some helpful information on new residency rules here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you