How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5142
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I provide consultancy to a Swiss based company. I invoice for

This answer was rated:

I provide consultancy to a Swiss based company. I invoice for my services and separately for my foreign expenses (flights etc.). Does my invoice for expenses, when paid, count as revenue towards the £81k threshold or do I not have to include it as the place of supply is outside the EU ?
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Invoices for services rendered are vatable supplies and count towards the threshold for VAT registration.

Invoices for disbursements can be taxable supplies (if incidental costs) and therefore count towards the threshold.

More information on what is is vatable or not can be found here

I hope this is helpful and answrrs your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, just to clarify: are business expenses that I incur in Switzerland, that are paid to me by my Swiss client and to which I apply no mark up, classed as services rendered and therefore count towards the VAT threshold ? Thanks, David

Thank you for your reply..

In order for disbursements to be excluded from VAT calculation all of the conditions have to be met (as listed in the guidance notes), including
- you pass on the exact amount of each cost to your customer when you invoice them.

I hope this is helpful and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you