How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15976
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Last year I made a gain on the purchase and sale of shares.

This answer was rated:

Last year I made a gain on the purchase and sale of shares. The money came from a joint account. (The only bank account my wife and I have) and the profits went back into the joint account.I used NatWest Sharedealing services to buy and sell the shares. My
accountant says I can only use my capital tax allowances but not my wifes. Is this correct.


If you bought the shares in your name only as opposed to in joint names with your wife, then I'm afraid that your accountant is correct. It would have been the same if the bank account was in your wife's name only and you used the money in it to buy shares in your name. To split gains and losses the shares must be in joint names.

I hope this clarifies the situation but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you