How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am a UK citizen, but moved to Australia in Jan 2012, and

This answer was rated:

I am a UK citizen, but moved to Australia in Jan 2012, and have been resident in Australia since (I have not yet been back to the UK).
On Nov 20, 2014 I sold a flat I owned in the UK, which has not been my primary residence since 2005.
If I was living in the UK - I would owe some capital gains on the flat.
But now I am resident in Australia, do I still have to pay capital gains to the UK inland revenue? Or do I simply pay the Australian tax man instead?

So long as you don't resume UK tax residence within five full tax years of leaving the UK, you won't pay CGT in the UK. Your five year period started on 6 April 2012 and will end on 5 April 2017. After 5 April 2017, you are in the clear and could return to the UK with no tax to pay on the gain. If you resume UK tax residence in the UK at any time up to and including 5 April 2017, you will pay UK CGT on the gain in the tax year of your return to the UK. Take a look here and here for information on UK tax residence.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you