How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Due to previous financial problems daughter I am considering

This answer was rated:

Due to previous financial problems for my daughter I am considering paying her rent (£600 pm) on a new rental property she has looked at.
Can you tell me if I pay this rent and then she pays me (or my wife due to tax threshold not fully used) would I (we) be liable for any kind of tax?


Can you confirm that the money you may pay your daughter is for her to use to pay the rent on a property she will live in and that she will repay you when she can. If you can, then there will be no tax consequences for you, your wife or your daughter. You will simply loaning her some money which she won't have to pay tax on. When she repays you, you won't have to pay tax on the repayments. If you charged interest, that would be taxable income.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Very disappointed in that you took our money after the page continued to an ongoing payment for some kind of membership! which we believed as we did not continue was cancelled.

We only wanted one question and one answer.

I hope that you will not take anymore money.


I haven't taken your money. I have nothing whatsoever to do with the payments on this site and since I have never asked a question on this site, I don't know what customers see when they sign up to ask a question. Billing is the responsibility of and you might make your feelings know to them. I'm just a self-employed contractor who answers questions on UK tax on this site. Nothing more, nothing less.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry if I have cause upset.

Maybe now is time to look into how this works so that you also know the system.



I'll do that if I ever ask a question here. I'm too busy to get involved in matters that I have no influence over. We have to refer all payment queries to

Let me know if you have any follow up questions following my answer to your question. If you don't, there is no need to respond to this post other than to rate my answer. Any written response you make requires me to reply because if I don't, the system stops me from answering other questions.