How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My husband has had a visit from the hmrc today regarding, a

This answer was rated:

My husband has had a visit from the hmrc today regarding, a outstanding bill, which is for charges for late filed self assessments (dating back 6 years) what is the best advice? The lady from the hmrc wanted to go through the late forms with him, he feels it's better to employ an accountant.

Can you tell me what your husband has been doing work wise in the last six years and whether he has any other sources of income such as rental income, investment income etc. Is he a higher rate taxpayer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No other forms of income. He worked away from2009-2012, he was away a month home a month. He is a higher rate tax payer now, but since last April he has been paye. Between oct 2012 and April 2014, he did some consultancy work, was unemployed, then he had a ltd company for 8 months, before being offered a contract with his employer.

Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Hi again.

I would not recommend your husband going through his taxes with an HMRC official. He may end up paying too much tax or too little and HMRC will blame him for any errors even if one of their staff helped him with it.

Given what you have told me, especially the fact that he appears to have worked abroad, I would recommend that you find as much information and paperwork as you can relating to his income and finances and look for a local accountant who has good tax knowledge. If a friend or business contact can recommend one, all the better. You'd be surprised how many accountants there are who know little about tax other than completing a tax return. A good accountant or tax adviser can take away much of the stress of this type of situation.

As he appears to have worked on month of, month off basis, I doubt that your husband will qualify as being non-UK resident for that period but its worth having somebody look at that.

At some stage, your husband will probably be issued with a corporation tax return and an annual return for the limited company so an accountant can deal with those for you.

The sooner you can get on top of this and show HMRC that you are doing so, the better, as there could be tax related penalties in addition to the late tax return penalties already charged. You can read about the penalty regime here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you