How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14166
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have owned a second home years and so have a capital

This answer was rated:

I have owned a second home for 18 years and so have a capital gain exposure of £200,000.
Could I sell 10% of the property to my children each year for the next 10 years and thus only have a £20,000 gain each year which would then be covered by my wife and my annual capital gains allowances?
Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
Yes you can indeed and I have added a the link here from the HMRC manuals that covers in full the position regarding part disposal of assets.
But you should also ensure that the percentage of the asset is recorded - as the property will increase in value and therefore you need to ensure a valuation is taken each time a part disposal is made, and the value of the percentage sold is also documented.
Also be mindful of Inheritance tax on this, if money does not in fact exchange hands, and you are in fact gifting the property a bit at a time.
If this is the case, then please advise further on the Inheritance tax position
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you