How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5143
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am British and have lived in Japan years (so am non-resident

This answer was rated:

I am British and have lived in Japan for 22 years (so am non-resident in the UK). In December 2013 we bought a property in the UK and rent it (have never lived there). I am trying to complete my UK tax self-assessment. Do I include my income in Japan under "employment"? Also, in the "residence" section, I have put that I am non-resident. Do I need to put anything else (e.g., number of work days abroad)?
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Please advise if you are still living outside the UK and that property in the UK is investment /second home.

Many thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We still live in Japan and the property in the UK is an investment (may live there eventually but not in the next 2-3 years).

Thank you

Joanne, thank you for your prompt reply.

As you are living abroad -

- you don't have to report any income you have abroad
- in Residence section as you have stated you were not resident in the UK for 2013-14, you don't have to put any other information.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Just to clarify, to the question "were you an employee, director, etc in the year to 5th April 2014", does that mean a UK company? Should I reply "no"?

Thank you for your reply.

You are correct in that it applies to UK companies.

You will also fill this section if you are UK resident and have earnings from foreign employments.

I hope this is helpful. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for acepting my answer.

Best wishes.