How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15976
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

, We are non resident in the UK since June 2006 before

This answer was rated:

We are non resident in the UK since June 2006
before we left In 2005 we bought a house, lived there for approx 12 months before leaving for germany.
The house has been rented since October 2006.
We now wish to sell it, as we are non resident do we pay tax on the gain of 142,000 that we have made since buying it? If so, which rate do we pay as non residents?
Hope you can help.

As you appear to have completed five full tax years an non-UK residents (6 April 2007 to 5 April 2012), so long as you sell the house by 5 April 2015 and have not returned to live in the UK before you sell it, you will pay no CGT in the UK but you may have to pay it in Germany. You would need to take local advice on that.

As you may know, from 6 April 2015, non-UK residents who make a gain from the sale of a UK residential property will be liable to UK CGT at 28%. However, only the difference between the disposal proceeds and the value of the property on 5 April 2015 will be subject to UK CGT.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks, ***** ***** this was the case but good to hear it from an expert! do you know how hrmc will calculate this increase in value from apr 2015? would it be wise to get an independent valuation done?

You ought to get a couple of valuations done and hold on to them.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you