How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17610
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

, I am moving to Zurich job in February 2015. My

Customer Question

Hi, I am moving to Zurich for a job in February 2015.
My wife will stay here in UK for between 3-12 months after start date until I get though probationary period in job and preparing for move, i.e. preparing house to be let etc. we have no children. She will not work once she gets to Switzerland.
I will not be returning to UK. My wife will visit Switzerland regularly
I also own a flat in London which I rent out for an income. after deductions, the income is between 6,000 - 8,000 pounds.
I wantewd to et some insights into my potential tax liability. Thank you.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are not in the UK at all after you leave then you will not be resident for tax purposes. This means that you will not be taxed in the UK on anything other than UK sourced income, the rental.
If a landlord usually lives outside the United Kingdom (UK) their letting agent or tenant normally has to deduct tax from property income.
Non-resident landlords can apply to SPT PTI for approval to receive their rental income with no tax deducted if:
their tax affairs are up to date, or
they have never had any UK tax obligations, or
they expect not to be liable to UK income tax.
You would still be required to complete self assessment for the rental.
You will be allowed the rental expenses so that will reduce the taxable portion.