How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4775
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a director of a Small limited company say ABC. I would

Customer Question

I am a director of a Small limited company say ABC. I would like to start a building a portfolio of student rental properties as a separate thing so I can plan to use it as my retirement planning. What is the best way to raise capital to fund the purchase of these properties?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.

, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

My immediate reaction is to approach your bank or building society start. Failing that consult a mortgage broker or an independent financial adviser(IFA) to assist in finding a lender willing to advance moneys against such ventures. The interest rate, which would be allowable against the rentals Tax purposes, would be reduced if the loans raised were secured on the properties. Both mortgage brokers and IFAs will be licensed to give advice on the raising of loan capital.

I do hope I have shown you a way forward in this matter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I think my question was too open ended. I think we all know about raising money thr bank and ifa etc question to narrow down is should I raise capital thr a bank via my my existing company (but I have to put down 25% refundable tax loan with hmrc) or as a personal loan which means I have to extract more money out of company ( hence more income tax )to pay loan or are there other cleverer ways?

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I must admit I thought your original question a tad odd!
Loans are outside the scope of UK taxation, although the interest payable to or from is, of course classed as income in the hands of the recipient. Thus if the company loans you moneys, a situation I do not recommend as loans to directors are fraught with danger and must be repaid within nine months of the end of the accounting period. From what you say I would suggest that raising a loan through your existing company might be the best solution. Can you not borrow from the bank direct on your own behalf?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the problem is my salary declared is next to personal allowance close to around if the bank can only lend 4 x my salary then we looking at 40k max ..I and wanted to raise enough to pay properties in region of 150k per propertye at least..You said that company loans to director are faught with danger but you also say rasing a loan thr your existing company might be best solution - sounds contradiction what you said - I must have misunderstood what you mean by that?

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
I am a diabetic ans about to have lunch. I will, like MacArthur, return!
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
What I meant was that the company should raise the loan through say a bank, buy the property and manage it, thus avoiding the low level of loan you personally can raise through your low salary level.