How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17125
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

- I am employed and do not have a car allowance. I use my

Customer Question

Hi - I am employed and do not have a car allowance. I use my own car for business mileage, which I claim back from my company at 45p per mile.
I am based in Essex and drive from kent which I know is classed as personal use, but I also drive from kent to sites all round M25 & London.
My car was purchased with a finance agreement through Vauxhalls which I still pay monthly.
Am I entitled to claim for any other 'expenses' i.e servicing, tyres, financing of car etc as part of wear & tear as a proportion of personal mileage/business mileage?
Thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
The mileage rate covers the costs of running and maintaining the vehicle, such as fuel, oil, servicing, repairs, insurance, vehicle excise duty and MOT. The rate also covers depreciation of the vehicle.
HMRC has used a very complex formula to come up with the rate which would take the place of actual expenses.
So if you use the mileage rate basis then you cannot claim any additional amount for these expenses.