How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5145
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am self-employed through my Ltd company how do I pay class

This answer was rated:

I am self-employed through my Ltd company how do I pay class 2 NI
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

You pay Class 2NI if you are self-employed. You can't be self employed through your own company.

You can be both
- self employed in your own right and for that you have to register for self assessment as self employed, and
- in employment in your company or any other organisation.

If you are using your own company for work to be done in France, then you are working as an employee of your company.

You could also be self-employed but it should not be connected with your own company.

You can register for self assessment and also register for Class 2 NI deductions here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have an accountant he sends SA to tax office if I am an employee then do I still pay Ni

Thank you for your reply.

As an employee, you would pay Class 1 NI on your PAYE salary from the UK company.
Self employed person pays Class 2 NI and Class 4 NI (this is profits related).

I hope this is helpful.
Thank you for your reply.

Please tell me how I can hep you further. You have asked how you pay Class 2 NI. I have provided you with all the information and also made you aware of HMRC website that tells you how you can pay Class 2 NI.

I have also explained under what circumstances Class 2 NI is levied.

You are requested to reconsider your rating. You may not wish to pay for the answer but please reconsider the rating as the information provided is correct and complete.

Many thanks
I thank you for changing your initial rating.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello Thank you for your replay our Accountant has sent me a link to NI for sign. We were not advise by our Acoc**tant at the time of setting up the LTD Company to sign up for this we throught payments were made by Dividends , My question is how far back will the HMRC go to claim payments if we sign up now and what would the amount be . We need the NI so that my Husband can claim the S1 FORM 8454 for healthcover in the EU while working out there .

Mrs Rice

Thank you for your reply.

It all depends on the effective date of your regsistration as self employment.
Secondly, there is small earnings exception i.e. you don't have to pay Class 2 flat rate if your income from self employment is up to £5,885 (tax year 2014-15).

Your accountant should be able to help you with this.

Many thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So what ever rotue we take we will not be be entailed to the S1 form for Health cover in france has the HMRC are telling me that we need to be set up for this for NI Class 2 before we can appliy for the S1 Form and my husband is not reg has self employed on thier system so Iam confused the LTD Company is indentified but not the person

Thank you for your reply.

LTD company is a separate legal entity. Any one working for the company is an employee.

If you wish to procced with Class 2 NI, then you have to also register yourself/husband as self employed.

I have already advised you on this in previous postings.

Many thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you for your help

You are welcome.