How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5115
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

, I am from the Republic of Ireland but now living and working

This answer was rated:

, I am from the Republic of Ireland but now living and working in the UK (Scotland), working as a civil servant. However in October 2014 I opened a share dealing account (with iWeb) and purchased shares traded on the NYSE to the value of £300. The dividend has not been claimed - the share dealing company just hold it in the account. Do I need to complete an self assessment with the British revenue by January 21st 2014? If it helps I generated no income in Ireland in 2014- my tax affairs in Ireland are fully up to date.
Your Help would be much appreciated.
and welcome to the site. Thank you question.

As your share acquisition is in the tax year 2014/15, you don't have to report anything in the tax year 2013-14 due by 31 Jan 2015.

It is an event in a tax year 2014-15. Having said that, you would only report any dividends paid between 6 Apr 2014 and 5 Apr 2015 and/or any gains/losses on sale of shares between these dates. Acquisition of shares is not reported.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's great, I had a look at my share dealing account - apparently I received a dividend of £1.15 on 29/12/2014. This is being held in the share dealing account . Not a huge sum but does this still need to be reported?

David, thank you reply.

This will have to be reported in current tax year's return that will be issued after 6 Apr 2015.

I thank you my answer.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much speedy reply.

Based on the information I have provided you, I take it that I do not need to do any reporting of this (the £1.15) before Jan 31st 2015? Instead it would fall into the period after that i.e there is no panic to have this done in a few days?

Many Thanks,


David, thank you reply.

If you had received this dividend during the period 6 Apr 2013 to 5 Apr 2014, then you have to report it in your Tax Return 2014 (covering tax year ended 5 Apr 2014).

This shouldl be reported in your Tax Return 2015 (covering tax year ending 5 Apr 2015).

In the meantime, just relax.

Best wishes.