How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Sam. I relocated in Dec 2013 and am getting £8000

This answer was rated:

Hi Sam. I relocated for work in Dec 2013 and am getting £8000 from work towards relocation expenses. This will cover a proportion of the stamp duty. I have incurred many other expenses in the move eg travel to look for a house, removal fees, solicitors fees etc, and I am wondering whether I can claim any of them back against tax in my self assessment tax form? Thanks.
Thanks for your question and asking for me.
I am afraid HMRC only allow up to £8000 as a tax free (which will already be covered by the employer for you) so any additional costs, I am afraid are to be borne by you, and no further tax reliefs are due.
Link here that determines that position
I am sorry the news is not better.
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you