How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4949
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

If my only income is the tax free portion of my pension plus

This answer was rated:

If my only income is the tax free portion of my pension plus some taxable but below the threshold where I'd owe tax, do I have to file a tax return?
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
Well, yes and no, you would only have to make an annual self assessment tax return if you are in receipt of income which has not been taxed at source. It is likely that your tax office will tell you not to bother as there is little mileage in processing returns which yield no revenue. Initially, they may want you to complete one and will send you a form if this is the situation.
in my opinion you almost certainly do not, but if HMRC request a return you mist comply.
I do hope I have shed some light on your situation for you.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.