How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17610
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

We are a non-VAT registered partnership selling a motor yacht

This answer was rated:

We are a non-VAT registered partnership selling a motor yacht to an Italian company. The sales agent in Majorca proposes to charge 21% VAT on his brokerage commission as he says it is an EU private sale. Is this correct?
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
For cross border supplies of services, the ‘place of supply’ rules determine which tax jurisdiction is allowed to levy VAT.
The place of taxation is determined by where the services are supplied. This depends not only on the nature of the service supplied but also on the status of the customer receiving the service. A distinction must be made between a taxable person acting as such (a business acting in its business capacity) and a non-taxable person (a private individual who is the final consumer).
He does appear to be within the VAT rules as the sale is in Italy.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.