How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5115
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I have been waiting 2 days answer to this!

This answer was rated:

I have been waiting 2 days for an answer to this!
Hello i have a client who has profits on rental income, but also has losses brought forward which are greater than this year's profit. This is the client's only income. Can I restrict the amount of brought forward losses utilised, so that the client can take advantage of her personal allowance against the income. Or do I have to offset the loss brought forward against the entire profit, leaving income of zero and the loss of the personal allowance?
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

You can't restrict the amount of brought forward losses to be offset against current year's profit. You have to utilise losses to the extent of profit made in the year (without taking into account personal allowance) and any balance carried forward.

More information on this can be founds on hs227 (page 4) here

and also on SA105-notes (Box 39 - page UKPN15) here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Good luck.