How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

, I have a Hong Kong question. I have a company in hong

This answer was rated:

I have a Hong Kong question.
I have a company in hong kong and and Hong Kong ID card as well as a Hong Kong employment visa. For my work I travel overseas a lot ( I run a travel website and work online from where ever I am for more than 6 months of the year and therefore can not receive a fiscal residency certificate as I won t be in HK for more than 180 days. Is my Hong Kong ID card and employment visa enough to prove to another country that I don´t live in that country and I´m not eligible for tax there?
I´m British and previously lived in Spain. I have a dormant company in Spain and 25% of a house there. I´ll be in Spain for about 6 weeks in the year and in the uk also for around 6 weeks in the year.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
There is a common misconception that Hong Kong has no income tax. This is not the case and although the rates are relatively low, it is not generally classed as a tax haven.
An expat with a long-term Hong Kong visa, you are required to pay Hong Kong income tax, just like every other fiscal resident. For more detailed questions on taxation in Hong Kong you should contact the Inland Revenue Department (IRD). Alternatively consult a trusted local tax advisor on your individual situation.
I do hope I have shown you a way forward with your problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I realise that. I do pay hong kong income tax on a monthly salary I receive.

My question is Do I need a certificate of fiscal residency to prove to an EU country that I am not resident in that county ( either Spain or the UK) and will the fact that I posess a HK Visa and HK id card and pay my income tax there be suffiicent? ( even though I am not actually in HK for more than 180 days?

I am of the opinion that this is a most unlikely requirement and, in any event, the statement issued by IRD of your annual liability and settlement would suffice.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.