How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14157
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

FY2013/14 Tax Return.UK Domiciled, British Citizen Has spent

This answer was rated:

FY2013/14 Tax Return.UK Domiciled, British Citizen Has spent full tax year working in Australia on a 4 year 457 Visa. No remittances to UK, no other UK income. Do I have to submit UK tax online return showing Australian Earned Income (Converted) and tax deductions(Converted)?
Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
If you could clarify that you left the UK before 05/04/2013 and that you live and work in Australia and your visits back to the UK did not exceed more than 90 days and none of these visits were for work purposes, and you remain living and working in Australia.
Conform that you have no UK property that you own, and that if you do whether this generates any rental income.
Finally did you advise HMRC that you had left the UK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Left UK on 29 January,2013, only came home for holidays not exceeding 28 days total.Did not do any work in UK.

No UK property.

Only made a note on the fy 2012/13 tax return

Minor problem. Australian income less tax was omitted

from fy2012/13. I shall report this separately

Having problems with my keyboard!

Hi Barrie
Thanks for your response
And are you paid from the UK or is this an Australian employer?
If its an Australian employer then you do not need to declare the income or the tax suffered, and in fact there is no need for you to compete future tax returns, so I would also be inclined to write to HMRC (let me know if you need the address) to advise that you left the UK 29/01/2013 and plan to remain out of the UK until at least Jan 2017 (if indeed that is the plan) and I would also arrange to complete form P85 for the UK tax office, link here for this form.
Just complete and then print off, and complete as if it was back in Jan 2013!
But for now you just need to complete the residency page of the tax return and nothing else (if you are using HMRCs free online services, then I am afraid this does not support the residency page) so you will need to print off the SA100 2014 and the SA109 2014 (Residency) but this will I am afraid incur a £100 late penalty as paper returns needed to be back with HMRC by 31/1012014 (but it may be that you are using third party software - in which case it may well support the residency page)
Let me know if you require anything else, but it would be appreciated if you could rate the level of service I have provided.
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you