How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5143
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

there we have a rental property in France on which we

This answer was rated:

we have a rental property in France on which we submit a tax return in France. We are completing our uk tax return - do we have to declare this income - how does it work?
and welcome to the site. Thank you question.

Please advise -
Are you UK national and UK resident purposes?

Many thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes we are uk national and uk resident - we made a profit but on the french tax return we did not get taxed because they allow ...


Julia, thank you reply.

You should declare the rental income and expenses, excluding depreciation, in your UK tax return as you are taxed on worldwide income and gains. You reprt property profits by completing supplementary pages SA105.

Unfortunately depreciation is not an allowable expense when computing profit profits in the UK.

Had you suffered any tax in France you could claim foreign tax credit relief against UK tax.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ah, ok - that is bad news.

how does this relate to the below:

'In general, under the terms of most double taxation treaties, rental income is liable to taxation in the country where it is earned.'

Julia, thank you reply.

A slight correction, it is supplementary pages SA106 and not SA105.. humble apologies.

More information on taxation of income from land and property abroad can be found here..look at FN12

I hope this is helpful and answers your question. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you my answer.

Best wishes.