How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15975
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

13/14 Tax Return, I have a CGT loss sold

This answer was rated:

13/14 Tax Return, I have a CGT loss sold in June 2013. The shares were purchased in 2000 higher amount so I know there is a loss, however the paperwork when I purchased the shares are somewhere in storage as I have moved home several times since 2000. I therefore cannot remember the amount they were purchased I do know it was much higher. I won't be able to access this paperwork before the Jan 31st deadline. If I do not declare this loss in this tax year, can I claim it in my next return (2014-15)?


You shouldn't disclose a 2013/14 capital loss in your 2015 tax return. What I suggest you do is use an estimate cost of the shares in your 2014 return, mark the appropriate box that says you are using an estimate and when you have access to your storage, put right the calculation of the loss and submit an amended tax return.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you