How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4808
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

have a query about EU VAT. I ahve a couple of UK VAT registered

Customer Question

have a query about EU VAT. I ahve a couple of UK VAT registered clients who are now selling to EU states and need help in getting them registered in various EU states and struggling to find anywhere that can help.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
My immediate reaction is why do you need to register your clients in other EU states at all when the HMRC’s Mini One Stop Shop scheme (VAT MOSS) can be implemented? According to The Guardian:
'From January, if a UK business makes a sale in another EU member state they will have to pay VAT there. The only way to comply is to register with that country or register ’s Mini One Stop Shop scheme (VAT MOSS). According to the HMRC website, the VAT MOSS scheme requires businesses to submit a ‘single calendar quarterly return’ and VAT payment to HMRC, which then sends the ‘appropriate information and payment to each relevant member state’s tax authority.’'
I do hope I have opened a door to a relatively simple procedure which may have escaped your notice.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that is only supplying digitally provided services to the EU so that unfortunately doesn't help.

One client sells computers to Romania and the others sells baby clothes and footwear to france, spain, italy and germany.

Both are companies sales are running to thousands of pounds per month from nothing.

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Providing that you have evidence that the goods have left the UK and to an EU VAT registered organization they are exports, a zero rated supply so although VAT is chargeable on invoices, it is at a rate of 0%. You will have to complete a monthly UE Sales List . The form will be sent to you automatically.
Again I see no requirement to register elsewhere unless you are exceeding the distance selling threshold. You can find the full list of thresholds here:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they will be well over those thresholds very shortly and the baby clothes retailer sells virtually all goods to consumers.

I do need to find out about registering in the relevant countries so I think I shall stop here thanks.

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Delighted to have been of assistance.