How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14192
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have been offered a job in Germany working offshore

This answer was rated:

I have been offered a job in Germany working offshore German company I currently work Uk but Plan on working Germany. I plan to commute from the uk (so stay living in uk) and stay on a platform weeks on 2 weeks off. Where would I Pay tax etc. Please help

Thanks question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
As you will not actually leave the UK to take up life abroad, and also due to the frequency n which you will return to the UK, you will be treated as resident in the UK and therefore maintain a liability to tax in the UK.
This means alerting HMRC to the fact that you will be working foreign employer, so they can arrange to issue you with a self assessment tax return after each 5th April to declare the overseas income and any foreign tax suffered.
Which brings me onto the German position, as you will be paid from Germany and will conduct the work their, it may well be that they deduct German (Euro) tax from your pay, and if this is the case, so you are not charged tax twice on the same income, then under the tax treaty arrangement- which allows you to declare the tax suffered to offset against your UK liability.
But as to whether this is deducted from the employer is something you will need to discuss with them, as we are a UK tax forum and as I am sure you can appreciate do not specialise in other countries tax arrangements/jurisdictions.
Let me know if you wish me to expand on any element of my response
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you