How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5147
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am an accountant in England and provide service to an Austrian

This answer was rated:

I am an accountant in England and provide service to an Austrian organisation.
1. I presume I have to charge VAT.
2 Can I recover it in Austria?
Harold Goldblatt
and welcome to the site. Thank you question.

Please clarify

- Is the Austrian organisation VAT registered
- what is the nature of service
- is the service being provided from the UK
- what VAT would you wish to recover in Austria

Many thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not known. Probably.

Accountancy advice


Any that I have to pay.


Harold, thank you prompt reply.

If your Austrian client is VAT registered than you can zero-rate the supply.
If your customer is not then the supply of service would be vatable and you should charge VAT at standard rate.

There are rules governing the place of supply and these are covered here

You can only recover VAT in Austria if you are registerd there.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you