How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am the owner as a sole trader of a dance franchise which

This answer was rated:

I am the owner as a sole trader of a dance franchise which does not yet hit VAT threshold. I am planning to grow the business to a level that keeps me just below the threshold as due many employees, it will not be worth it to go over. When I am under, I am happy with my small income and going over would mean that the VAT bill would cost me more than my profit! My question is can I open another totally seperate business (party costume and decoration hire) and avoid VAT or will the two businesses be considered jointly? Howe about if the seperate business was also in my husbands name as he will be financing and doing some of the running around but I will be running it. Thanks
, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
I am of the opinion that such a split would be valid particularly if each part was under a different proprietor.
I do hope I have shown you a useful way forward in this matter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Keith just to clarify that I would not be splitting the existing franchise, this would be a totally new and different business. What do you mean by a different proprietor? My plan would be to own both businesses myself but the second new one would be in joint names with my husband. Can someone own two businesses and keep them seperate purposes and if so would the new one need to be a LTD business? My husband owns/is director or an estate agency and obviously pays VAT, they are LTD as far as I know.

The two proprietors would be you and your husband.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you support.