How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4808
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

, I work UK airline, but I commute to and from a country

This answer was rated:

, I work UK airline, but I commute to and from a country in Europe. I use a UK address etc., but I live in the other country and most days of the year when I am not working I am there.
I have not yet registered. Am I most likely entitled to a refund, and if so what must I do?
Which forms must I fill in?
, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
Presumably you are being remunerated under PAYE arrangements. If you spend more than 183 days in the UK in any one tax year then you are liable to UK taxation on your world wide income. If you spend more than 91 days in the UK there is a possibility of being classified as an UK resident. This is theoretically averaged out over four years, but the consensus of opinion of experts on this site is never to breach the 91 days in one tax year rule.
If you can be classed as non resident then you could obtain a refund of tax, but not National Insurance by making an annual self assessment tax return. The NI contributions are to your advantage anyway as there are cross border arrangement in respect of these social deductions with the EU.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you support.