How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

there, My P60 shows I paid £9,089 in tax on a £48,287 salary

This answer was rated:

there, My P60 shows I paid £9,089 in tax on a £48,287 salary (tax code 955L) and I'm also self employed. My business made a net loss of £7323 but I'm told I need to pay £25 tax. How can this be & any advice?
Many thanks!


Have you completed and submitted your tax return online? I suspect that you haven't chosen to offset the loss from self-employment against your salary which will result in you being overpaid. A quick way to find out is to view your tax return and see if the loss appears in either box 33 here or in box 78 here.

Find the box in the self-employment section of the online tax return to offset the loss against other income /14 and put the loss in there. That should have the desired effect.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Tony, all sorted & that made a big difference!

Best wishes,


That's good. I thought I'd leave the nice surprise to find out .