How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17610
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
This answer was rated:

. I am an American and was employed very first time

. I am an American... Show More
. I am an American and was employed very first time in the UK during the period of 20th January to 28th May 2014. I just received, after numerous attempts at contact, my P45 from my employer and it seems to only represent one month of employment. I am very confused and obviously want everything correctly done, as I need to file tax in the United States as well. Is there any insight that can be given?
Show Less
Ask Your Own Tax Question
and thank you me to assist you.
If your P45 only shows one month that is because it was UK tax year. April 2013 to April 2014. It would only show the amount month in 2014.
Your P60 shows the tax you’ve paid on your salary in the tax year (6 April 2013 to 5 April 2014).
You do not need that P45 to complete your US tax return. It is not sent in like a W2 in the US.
You can report as wages the true amount you received. If you received a P60 then it will show the tax withheld to use credit to the US.
If you are looking at excluding the income from US taxation then knowing what tax was withheld would not be needed.
You would file your 1040 (showing your total UK wages on line 7) and attach form 2555 to exclude the applicable amount.
I need you to tell me when you left the US and if you are still in the UK.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

I left the US in August 2011, but was never employed in the UK until January 2014 as I was first on a finance visa (unable to work) then I was waiting Spouse Visa a year and only began working in the last year of it's validity. As of July 2014 I have indefinite leave to remain. I am currently still the the UK.

That is good then. You can exclude the UK income up to $99,200 of income from the US taxation.
You will need to complete the 1040 (like I said) and use form 2555 to report that you were in the UK (your VISA type is not relevant).
US it only matters that you were in another country 12 months (you meet that and then some because of you leaving in 2011) and 330 days in the US tax year.
You do not have to send in UK document with your US return but you just complete the 2014 (report the wages you know you received) and use the 2555 form.
You can use the form 4852 to list the income (it is a substitute W2). Not all parts of the 4852 will be filled in. Just fill in what you know.
Copy and paste that 4852. You can get the forms online at or use a site like TurboTax to complete your US return.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

I never received a P60...does that really matter in my case? Basically I have my P45 and my payslips from my employer. Is there any other information I need to obtain in order to fill out the forms you mentioned above?

Correct, doesn't matter.
No, if you have your payslips you have all you need US return. Use the form 255 to exclude and you will be fine purposes.
Rating lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me time.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Now I was informed by my employer to fill out a P85. Will I get the tax I did pay back from the UK as I didn't work long enough to reach the level of the income in which I was initially taxed for.

You really are supposed to post that as a new question because it is outside the information original question.
Sometimes HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will send you a refund automatically when you’ve paid too much tax.
If you are due a refund you will be issued that.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

That you so much Robin! You've been loads of help!!

Your positive rating is thanks enough.
Rating lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me time.