How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4790
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a company based in Australia, selling through Amazon in

This answer was rated:

I am a company based in Australia, selling through Amazon in the UK. I am registered and am behind in submitting. I also had to pay VAT and Customs Duty upfront when I had goods delivered there by DHL a few months back. In Australia we get GST back when paid like this and wondered if is the same ? Can you recommend a firm I can use to handle my VAT.

, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

VAT in the UK, in general terms, operates as follows. You sell goods and add VAT to the invoice sale. That is called output tax. You buy goods and the VAT charged thereon is called input tax and you reclaim it on your quarterly return, the VAT100, to HMRC. You then pay or receive the difference between the two figures.

Unfortunately Just Answer protocol precludes me from recommending individuals, but VAT returns are well within the abilities of any high street practitioner.

The tax is, in essence, very simple. If you keep your accounts on Sage the accounting package does your VAT return and the same is true other accounting packages precluding the necessity of employing and paying outside agency privilege.

I do hope I have helped you with your question. It is really very easy to do it yourself, providing you maintain adequate records. These may be subject to inspection.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you reply. I do my own GST online so will investigate Sage package.

My other question was whether VAT paid in advance when goods are imported to the UK is claimable?

Thank you.


When goods are imported to the UK HMRC may charge both Import Duties, there are literally thousands of rates, and VAT. The Import Duty you have to bear as a cost of sales. The VAT paid constitutes an input tax which can be reclaimed through the VAT100 form quarterly.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site, Anne.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you support.