How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5141
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

As part of a divorce settlement a property I own and

This answer was rated:

As part of a divorce settlement a property I own and rent out has the proceeds and mortgage and all associated bills paid into/out of a joint account with my Ex husband.
The monies in the account is only used associated with the property. When I sell the property any remaining monies in the account will be split 50/50.
I am finalising my Self Assessment - should I declare all the monies/profit or should this be split 50/50?
Thank you
and welcome to the site. Thank you question.

Please advise if the property is in your sole name

Many thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the property is in my sole name

Caroline, thank yoy prompt reply.

As the property is in your sole name you should declare 100% of the profit from property income on your tax return.

You mentioned all the monies/profits.
You only report the profit from rental of property and not all monies in/out of the account.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you answer.

The property is fully managed by an estate agent/letting agent. So briefly looking at the SA, I declare the gross payments less their fees, less repairs, less insurance & less interest on mortgage payments etc

Caroline, thanks reply.

You are correct in your understanding.

You claim expenses listed and repairs and maintenance costs.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you my answer.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you