How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have interest from a defined returns policy can I set the

This answer was rated:

I have interest from a defined returns policy can I set the interest against my capital gains allowance?
, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
Could you please advise exactly which sort of policy to which you refer? Then I can frame an appropriate answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had a Barclays defined returns policy, over 3,4 and 5 years. I have read that I should be able to 'use capital gains tax annual exemption to eliminate the tax charge on my returns'!

According to Barclays this is interest subject to Income Tax (IT). This being the case it would not be allowable against your Annual Exempt Amount Gains Tax (CGT) purposes. The two taxes are entirely separate regimes.

If you have made a gain on these policies then the gain is taxed under the IT regime and not under the CGT. The situation regarding tax on insurance policy gains is extremely complicated and you can read chapter and verse here:

However, here is the key extract:

'Gains In these notes ‘gains’ are chargeable event gains which are sometimes referred to as ‘chargeable gains’. They are taxable as income and included in income purposes, including entitlement to personal allowances (including age-related allowances) and tax credits. They are not capital gains, so capital losses and the annual exempt amount cannot be set against them.'

This rather regrettably scuppers your ideas as the moneys received, be they either interest or gains, come under the IT regime.

I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade. Always bear in mind Benjamin Franklin's dictum that in life there are but two certainties, death and taxes!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am rather puzzled as to Barclay's response! As it is in their pamphlet, relating to this policy; that 'The plan's potential returns are treated as capital gains rather than income puposes'?

Well, I am sorry to say that HMRC does not agree. They may be in error, of course, but then so might Barclays. I would be inclined to write a letter of enquiry to your tax office. If you are running up against the 13/14 filing deadline then put it in as an estimated figure, annotate it and sort it out in slow time later.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you support.