How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am a non taxpayer ( housewife ) who has brought a property

This answer was rated:

I am a non taxpayer ( housewife ) who has brought a property from my inhertance which I receive a rental income from. The property is in joint names with my husband , but the revenue goes into my account witch all the household bills are paid.
I have no other income as I don't work .
My question is , is my husband liable to pay tax on this rent as his name is ***** ***** title deeds of the property.?

If the property is in the joint names of a married couple, purposes the income should be split on a 50:50 basis unless it is owned in proportions other than 50:50 and HMRC are informed on a form 17.

You may both need to register -assessment which you can do here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have another question Tony, how is the income from the property traced if it doesn't go to my husbands account?
Surely only if we declare it?
HMRC have access to The Land Registry database. They look property and then try find out from their own databases if anybody is disclosing the rental income in a tax return.

If your husband's name is ***** ***** property deeds, then one day he might receive a letter from HMRC. As far as your tax return is concerned, there is a box to mark with an "X" to signify if a property is let jointly. By not marking that box, you will be submitting an inaccurate tax return. It night not ever come to light of course and if you can sleep at night with that floating around in your head then good luck.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you