How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now
This answer was rated:

I have recently become unemployed and have rented out my flat

to cover the mortgage. I... Show More
to cover the mortgage. I am currently staying with my ex husband rent free. The rental income on my flat allows a small surplus of £100 pm. Although registered unemployed, I will not be claiming any benefits after my contributions based JSA finishes this month. I have no other form of income.
Should I notify the tax office that i am renting out my flat? Will i be penalised letting them know earlier? What will be my likely tax obligations?
many thanks
Show Less
Ask Your Own Tax Question

Can you tell me when you started to let the flat please?
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

I started renting my flat about two years ago, when on contract work. i engageged an agency to manage the tenancy arragements. I recently (December) cancelled the agency which saves me their fee, £100 pm, which allows the surplus income (otherwise the rent just covered the mortgage) .

If useful? the mortgage is a standard mortgage, not buy to let?


Leave this with me while I draft my answer.

I'm back.

It seems that your expenses covered your rental income until recently. You would normally be expected to register -assessment and complete a tax return if your net of expenses rental income is £2,500 or more per annum or the pre-expenses rental income is £10,000 or more per annum.

What I suggest you do is to get all your rental income and expense records together tax year and work out what the pre-expenses income was and what the post expenses income was. Take a look here types of expenses you can claim against rental income.

After working out the figures, call the tax office on the number here, explain your situation and listen to what they suggest. If you do need to register -assessment, you can do that here but I'd try to avoid that if you can. You will only have interest and possibly penalties to pay if you owe any tax which I doubt is the case.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

I have to go out 30 minutes but I will be back to answer questions that you may have.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

no problem thanks

Thanks. There's no need to respond to this message unless you questions. I have to respond to any post by a customer because if I don't the syetem stops me answering other questions.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, dont want to drag out, but the links you sent dont work ? if you could kindly email me a typed link/s, particularly re 'expenses to claim against' then hopefully we can close. thanks very much.



Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks Tony Tax, will cut and paste into browser. Will close with the rating now.


Thanks and good luck with your job search.