How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Can you help please, I am a 67 year old pensioner, I

This answer was rated:

Can you help please,
I am a 67 year old pensioner, I only have a state pension, which until today was £200.45p per week. last year I worked on the markets and was paid a basic plus commission wage which over the twelve months came to £4348.99.
I have an outlay i.e. Transport costs, parking, display materials, mobile phone and card m/c charges.
my Questions are: do I have to pay Tax, do I get an allowance on my outlay, and how do I go about declaring my earnings,
yours in anticipation Don

Were you working on a self-employed basis on the markets? When was this exactly? are you still doing it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes self-employed, from December 2013 to December 2014

and yes I am about to start another years trading


Leave this with me while I draft my answer.

Given that you started out in December 2013, you should have registered as self-employed with HMRC so that you were issued with a tax return year ended 5 April 2014. You should either call the tax office on the number here to register now or read the notes here and register online. You may have to pay some interest on tax paid late and penalties registration. These can be appealed.

The personal allowances /14 and 2014/15 are age dependent and you can find them here. You won't pay Class 4 National Insurance Contributions as you are over state pension age, though that may not have been the case in the 2013/14 tax year, and your self-employed income was below the start point 4 NIC.

If you work in the same place, you cannot travel costs I'm afraid, though you may be able to make a claim if you work at more than one site. Any other expenses you wish to claim need to be put into the self-employment pages. You should draw your accounts up to 5 April 2014 and then to each 5 April thereafter to keep things simple and only show self-employed income and expenses from December 2013 to 5 April 2014. Any tax you have to pay will be at 20% if the sum of your state pension and self-employed income is more than your personal allowance.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you,

you have confirmed what I had thought so I will contact the Tax office and face the music!

I work on several markets through the month and use one vehicle just work I have been keeping receipts and petrol vehicle tax and insurance plus public liability ins I hope I might be able to claim against some of these.

thanks again Don