How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14155
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Sam, I am currently non-resident purposes and have

Customer Question

Sam, I am currently non-resident purposes and have been working abroad since 5th April 2013. I qualify as non-resident purposes via the 3rd automatic overseas test. I have been issued an 'NT' tax code by HMRC. My income is paid from/in the UK. I still pay full NI contributions as advised by our company accountant. I am due to pay Korean tax due to spending over 186 days per year here but have so far been unable to do so due to visa reasons. My question is whether I am required to complete a self assessment tax return as I can't seem to get a definitive answer from the HMRC website. At present I have no additional earnings in the UK. Thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks question and asking .
Yes you must still complete self assessment so HMRC can establish that code NT did apply to the tax year in question and also will continue to apply.
Let me know if you wish me to expand on my response
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And I have to do this by post? The online self-assessment says it cannot be used by non-residents.

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
Yes that's right, as the JHMRC free online services is unable to use the non residency information to produce a tax calculation that allows NT to apply, so it has to be the paper version.
And I will advise that the deadline paper returns was 31/10/2014, so you will incur £100 penalty late return