How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My brother and I inherited my mother's house in 2012.

This answer was rated:

My brother and I inherited my mother's house in 2012. For IHT purposes it was valued at 245k. We expect to sell it this summer for around 350k. We have been advised that it is a legitimate CGT avoidance device to now transfer the property into the names of my brother and me and our respective wives, thus invoking four CGT personal allowances.
Is this correct?
Assuming it is correct what form should the transfer take? A conventional transfer from my brother and me to him, our wives and me as tenants in common? Presumably nil consideration, which of course reflects the reality of the transaction should be put on the TR1.
Please let me know if you think I have got any of this wrong and why.

There is nothing to stop a husband transferring a share of a property to his wife or vice versa. HMRC have publicly stated that they would not challenge such a tax saving tactic.

Follow the guidance here to get your spouses names onto the property title. There is no consideration. Given that two separate couples are involved,a tenants in common ownership structure makes sense. If in any doubt, consult a solicitor.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks, ***** ***** and unequivocal just what I needed.

Thanks and good luck.