How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

If I run a wine business, and am registered , can I

This answer was rated:

If I run a wine business, and am registered for VAT, can I reclaim the VAT I paid on wines which I sell, after having cellared them for more than four years, because the wines sometimes need more than four years, decades sometimes, to mature and be ready for consumption?

Hi Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

HMRC states that There’s a time limit for backdating claims for VAT paid before registration. From your date of registration the time limit is: 4 years for goods you still have, or that were used to make other goods you still have (its six months for services)

I appreciate that wine is a specialist product, but I am afraid that is the set time limit,.

With any valid claim within the appropriate time frame you need to be sure that you reclaim them on your first VAT Return (add them to your Box 4 figure) and keep records including invoices and receipts a description and purchase dates information about how they relate to your business now

Let me know if you require any further information on the advise I have provided. Thanks


Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you