How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4779
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

, my name is***** I am a professional bell and saturation

This answer was rated:

Hi, my name is***** I am a professional bell and saturation diver in the North Sea. I'm British, british residen and category D tax liable to the hmcr. Now I'm currently living in Cape Town and am intrested in finding out how I could become uk tax exempt? Am open to all options including becoming expat. how would I go about getting out of the uk tax sistem? My pay comes from a Singapore based office and I make my money outside the 12 mile maritime arias....
Hello Alex, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
Firstly, when you left the UK did you complete a form P85? If you did not do so that is no problem, there is no time limit on its submission and it is available from the net and can be filed on line. On receipt of a P85 HMRC will make you non resident for tax purposes in the tax year flowing your date of departure and furthermore split the leaving year into two portions, one resident and one non resident. It also provide for the refund of overpaid tax in the departure tax year. On your eventual return to the UK you advise HMRC and the process is reversed.
There is but one problem, HMRC will not provide any information on the web about oil rig workers, each case is considered individually on its merits. That does not matter whilst you are non resident in South Africa, see the P85 procedure above.
This site is essentially an UK tax information platform and my answer does not take into account any effects of Singapore or South African tax. Fortunately both Singapore and South Africa have a Double Taxation Treaty in force between them which will ensure that the same income stream is not taxed in both jurisdictions and indeed both have similar treaties with the UK. These Treaties all work in similar way, the tax deducted in one country creating a tax credit against any similar liability on the same stream in another.
I do hope I have been able to shed some light on your position and have shown you a way forward in this matter.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.

Small amendment; paragraph 2, line 2 should read 'following.'