How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am British but resident in another EU country. I have one

This answer was rated:

I am British but resident in another EU country. I have one part time job with a UK organization and income tax is deducted as PAYE. I have a second part time job with an international organization, with the work not being done in my country of residence, and tax is not deducted. Should I declare the income and pay tax on it in UK or my country of residence?

Can you tell me where you live please. Where do you actually do the work for the UK organisation and for the international organisation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I live in Finland.

The work I do for the UK organisation is done partly in UK, partly in Finland and partly in other countries.

The work I do for the international organisation is done partly in Finland and partly in other countries.


Leave this with me while I draft my answer.

I'm back.

Take a look at the UK/Finland double tax treaty here. Article 16 deals with employment income.

To the extent that the work for the UK organisation is done in the UK, then the salary from that job will be taxable in the UK. The balance will be taxable in Finland. You may need to split the income into two periods, one of days worked in the UK and one of days worked outside the UK.

The income for work done for the international organisation will be taxable in Finland unless that organisation has agreements with the other countries where you do the work or tax treaties Finland has with those countries dictates such that some of the income will be taxable in those countries. If that is the case, any non-Finnish tax paid will be deductible from your Finish tax liability. Article 16 paragraph 2 will tell you whether any of the pay will be taxable in another country including the UK. This paragraph is present in many tax treaties.

Some international organisations such as the United Nations have tax exemptions for their employees.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you