How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17625
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I received income from renting my house out and I want to declare

This answer was rated:

I received income from renting my house out and I want to declare it to HMRC. I believe I have to fill in a self assessment form but I have never done one before. I am a teacher so it is very difficult for me to contact anyone. I don't want to be charged extortion amounts for the lateness of the form. Please advice on how I can find a good accountant to communicate with online.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
You must report income from property rental of more than £2,500 a year on a Self Assessment tax return.
If it’s less than £2,500 a year, call the Self Assessment Helpline to report it.
Telephone: 0300(###) ###-####
Textphone: 0300(###) ###-####
Outside UK: +44(###) ###-####
If you have already registered for Self Assessment have your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) with you when you phone.
You are going to need to register with hMRC. Here is the url for HMRC page with the form and instructions:
You will look to #3 on that page.
We are not allowed to endorse of provide any name of an accountant online or in your specific city.
You can complete the forms yourself by using the HMRC online or the phone (providing the income is not over the amount I advised previously).
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you