How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am allowed to claim tax relief on hotel accommodation that

This answer was rated:

I am allowed to claim tax relief on hotel accommodation that I have paid for when living away from home and working as an employee paying through PAYE?

Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

Yes, you can, assuming that, of course, that your employer does not reimburse you for this expense which would be the normal procedure. If your empoloyer's reimbursement is at a set rate you might be able to claim the balance as an expense in employment.

I do hope I have assisted you with your query.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. To clarify my situation in addition to my basic salary I was paid an allowance for accommodation for roughly three nights a week whilst I worked away from home but at my regular place of work. The addition of this allowance has pushed me over the £100k threshold and thus I will have to pay back the element of my personal allowance. As I did not gain financially from this arrangement is the cost of the accommodation tax deductible in order to reduce my total liability?



This would appear to be completly correct, Ian. The reimbrsement of travelling and subsistence expenses is only appropriate when you are working away from your regular place of employment. As an employee you can only have one place of employment, any other location being a temporary duty location for which accommodation and subsistence allowances would be acceptable and outside the scope of UK taxation.

The only exception I can think of which would be allowble might be some exceptional event which precluded your normal return home eg adverse weather, public transport shut down etc. Othewise the reimbursement would indeed be taxable as it appears to have been in the scanario you present.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.