How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I moved from the UK 7 years ago and did not pay my tax bill.

This answer was rated:

I moved from the UK 7 years ago and did not pay my tax bill. if I move back to the UK will I need to pay this bill?

There is no statute of limitations on unpaid tax. HMRC may have been making efforts to track you down depending on how much tax is owed and, if you live in a European Union country, they will get help from the local tax authorities to track you down and take action in the local courts if necessary. Look here for more information. Of course, you may not live and work in the EU.

If you return to the UK, sooner or later, your name will appear on a database that HMRC have access to and a letter will be sent to you to arrange to pay the outstanding tax, together with interest and penalties.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you