How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17610
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I have received a p800 stating I owe over £2.000 in underpaid

This answer was rated:

I have received a p800 stating I owe over £2.000 in underpaid tax .I am a pensioner with three providers,looking back I seems that hmrc issued incorrect tax codes to my providers what can I do.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
HMRC will usually change your tax code so the tax you owe is taken from your wages or pension in the future. The P800 tax calculation tells you how much extra they will take during the following tax year - usually in equal instalments.
That may be what you are reading on the P800. The additional amount as well as the regular amount that would be taken out.
I would suggest you call HMRC again 0300(###) ###-####
Let them know your concerns about the code and what they have set up for you.
When you get income from more than one pension provider, each will usually use a different tax code. When you think you’re paying too much or too little tax and have more than one tax code it is up to you to tell HMRC.
When you have been sent a Tax Calculation, or P800, showing you have underpaid tax, in certain circumstances HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) may agree not to collect it exercising its discretion under 'Extra Statutory Concession A19' (ESC A19).
HMRC will only agree not to collect the underpaid tax if all the following circumstances apply:
HMRC received information which affected your tax code
HMRC failed to make proper and timely use of that information
failed to notify you of the underpayment within 12 months of the end of the tax year in which HMRC received the information
it was reasonable for you to believe your tax affairs were in order
This means, for example, if you receive a Tax Calculation, or P800, in the 2013 to 2014 tax year showing that you have underpaid tax in the previous tax year (2012 to 2013) then ESC A19 will not apply.
I suggest you call HMRC at the number I supplied and speak with them directly.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you