How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

HiMy wife lives abroad and we haven't made a return

Customer Question

My wife lives abroad and we haven't made a return for a number of years as net rental income has been low.What should I do. I'm now the sole owner and wish to make a return but think we have about 6 years of returns to do. Help !
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question. Please remember that in the UK a husband and wife are separate legal entities for taxation and each must submit an annual self assessment if required.

Firstly let's get rid of your wife [Who said that?] When she left the UK did she complete a Form P85? If she did not she should do so immediately. The form is available on the net and can be submitted on line. There is no time limit as to its submission. On receipt of the P85 HMRC will classify her as non resident for the tax year after her departure date and furthermore split the year of leaving into two portions, one resident and one non resident.

Now let's consider your position. You must contact your tax office and grovel. Charity is in short supply in HMRC and there can be penalties for non submission of returns. However even HMRC does not wish to process returns which yield no or insignificant revenue so I would be inclined to kick off with a letter giving an indication of the sums involved. Your tax office may just note it and tell you not to bother. They certainly did with me last year.

I do hope I have shown you a way forward in this matter.