How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5112
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

, i will be gifted some money and I would to use this to

This answer was rated:

i will be gifted some money and I would to use this to convert a garage conversion at my mums house, where I will be living soon. I guess it mike me 15K, is it best to gift the money to mum, or can I just pay the builders direct?
Would this effect my mum state pensions or benefits?
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

It would be much simpler for you to pay the builders direct for the conversion costs rather than gift the money to your mum for garage conversion.

The fact money even gifted to you mum would be spent on garage conversion and not add to her savings, it should not effect her state pension or benefits.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks - if I pay the builders directly there will their be any tax implications for my mum that i should be aware of.

Thank you for your reply.

There will be no tax implications for your mum.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.