How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

, I returned a SA tax form with a income of about £19,500:00

This answer was rated:

Hi, I returned a SA tax form with a income of about £19,500:00 this past year for tax 13-14.
The problem is HRMC want me to pay another £1,301:42 on account and then the same amount again on the 31 Jul 15, This is to be repeated next year on account, how do they expect me to pay these amounts on such a low income? and why don't i just fill in the SA form and pay 31 Jan 16 as per normal? I've asked about and nobody else seams to be forces to pay on account?
Thanks ***** *****

Can you tell me what the source of income is that gave you an income of £19,500 in 2013/14 please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I'am a self employed lorry driver working for the following rates:

£8 per hr basic

£10 per hr overtime

£11 sundays (don't work many)


Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Hi again.

Take a look here for information on self-assessment payments on account.

The self-employed pay their taxes twice a year unless their liability for the previous year was less than £1,000 in which case the liability for the next year it will be payable in full on 31 January following the end of the tax year to which the liability relates.

You have payments on account to make for 2014/15 as your liability for 2013/14 was over £1,000.00. If you consider that your 2014/15 liability will be less than that for 2013/14, you are within your rights to reduce your payments on account by calling the tax office and asking for them to reduced or by completing and submitting the form here or by logging into your online HMRC account and applying through that portal.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


What happens to my deposit is that now your fee?

Thanks for accepting my answer.

Your deposit is turned into the fee when you have accepted or rated an answer. There is no further payment due.