How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have been working overseas years and have been classed

This answer was rated:

I have been working overseas for 10 years and have been classed as "Non-Resident". My latest job completed in January and I am still waiting to go on my next Project. If I stay in UK until end of tax year without heading for new job, will I maintain my NR status?


One of the criteria for maintaining your non-residence status is that you work a "sufficient number of hours overseas in the tax year". Another one is that you don't have a "significant break" from work. This is defined as a period of 31 or more continuous days from work. See paragraph 3.20 on page 40 of RDR3 here. In any event, you should try to keep your days in the UK under 91 though you may be allowed a little extra depending on the number of ties you have to the UK. The notes here may also be of interest.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

My apologies. I posted the same link twice. The second set of notes is here.

Read from paragraph 1.10 on page 10 of RDR3 here for information on how to calculate the number of hours you have worked.

I seem to be having problems with hyperlinks. Read from paragraph 1.1 on page 10 of RDR3 here for information on sufficient hours worked abroad.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you